When you have a hard time coming up with ideas…you use that as an idea.
So as you may have seen, I took Audrey and Justice’s family pictures. Well Audrey was super nice and brought me some homemade hand scrub and so I decided to do her Christmas cards! I designed both, but the first option is what Audrey ended up choosing.
P.S. Ignore the weird coloration of this one. The trees and grass are showing up extra green for whatever reason.
I did these beach icons for Vector Graphics. I’m really getting used to Adobe Illustrator and I’m super amazed at how much I could do with it! I’m really learning a lot! This blog is part of my professional portfolio, so even if this isn’t my best work, I think that it would be nice to see the progression in my work over this semester (and other semesters as well).
Project Corrections / Time spent: I spent about 15 minutes editing my brochure: I updated some of the body copy to better reach my audience and fix the sizing on the back flap. I spent about 10 minutes changing my letterhead and business card by adding some more dots on the business card, trying to place them correctly, adding a website to the business card and enlarging the logo on the letterhead. I spent 10 minutes working on my montage by blending the picture of Christ more, messing with the text and the size, and made sure there were no widows. I even made my image of Christ slightly larger and moved him closer to the center. I spent 15 minutes updating my web page- I made sure my CSS validated (since I got marked down for that in I-Learn) and tried to include a more generic font. I spent another 15 minutes updating my photodesign. I added some veins to the leaves that are also my color swatches. It was a really intricate fix. I spent about 25 minutes on my flier. Since this was my first project, I think I made the most fixes on this one. I pretty much reorganized the whole thing and gave more contrast to my date/time/place information. I made my body copy smaller and tried better to really group my negative space. I tried to get more alignment and keep everything away from the edges. I spent another 25 minutes on my logos. I tried to focus more on the company name and added more negative space. I also tried to vary the fonts a little more. The last 15 minutes I spent on my Event Ad. I changed the font a little, and made ‘for’ in lowercase letters. Then from there it was pretty much grouping everything better until my flow was nicer. Those are the two hours I spent on project corrections.
Message: I have grown significantly as a designer.
Top Thing Learned: Everyone will have a different response to your portfolio. You just have to make it reflect you.
Future application of Visual Media: Making anything like a flier or brochure, or some kind of “raising awareness” document for any company or private business.
Color scheme and color names: Monochromatic dark brown
Title Font Name & Category: Beyond the Mountains – Script
Copy Font Name & Category: Teen- Sans Serif
Thumbnails of Images used:
Sources (Links to images on original websites / with title of site):
Here is my description of my brochure. Enjoy!
- Description: Project 8 Brochure- creating a brochure for a company (real or made up)
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): I drew out what I wanted on a piece of copy paper and organized how I wanted the images to look. Then I went searching for images and found a color scheme that stuck through all of them. I made sure that all the images I chose had people in them to connect with my audience. I created a logo and brought all those colors together. Then I really messed with the design, shifting images and body copy around, even adding images or taking away body copy. I tried to figure out the printing. That was pretty difficult.
- Message: The AdventureTeam is something you want to join because it is family friendlly, and is really all about learning.
- Audience: Those interested in travelling the world
- Top Thing Learned: The top thing I learned was probably the rulers that can be dragged out (I didn’t know about these) and how to work with printing when you have a unique design.
- Color scheme and color names: tetradic: red, green, yellow, purple
- Title Font Name & Category: Script font= brush script, “Beyond the Mountains”
- Copy Font Name & Category: Body copy font: Lane, sans serif
- Word Count of copy: 263
- Thumbnails of Images used:
- Sources (Links to images on original websites)
- Description: Project 7 Web Page- creating a web page to show off the logo we created in Project 5.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): For this project, I already have a background in HTML and CSS somewhat for my job. Since that had given me a head start, I had to decide how I wanted this to be. I gathered critique from peers, mentors. I think that the gray background goes well with the webpage. I think that I really reached my audience with this project. After all, my logo is for a software company but I don’t have any sort of connection to the internet- so here it is.
- Message: A software company (a good one)
- Audience: Software users
- Top Thing Learned: CSS for sure. I am really familiar with HTML coding but I really deepened my knowledge of CSS styling. Specifically, linking the html and the css templates together was something I learned.
- Color scheme and color hex(s): Complementary scheme: Brick and Teal: —Brick#f47221–Teal#22a69f
- Title Font Families & Category: Body copy is a google font “Old Standard TT” a Serif
- Copy Font Families & Category: “Check it out” in Ubuntu a serif
- Changes made to the CSS: Mostly font changes, shifting the logo to the center, shifting the h1 text so that it is centered in the banner.
- Word Count: 236